Why join AOS?
As an inclusive, international society, AOS connects you to an extensive network of thousands of dedicated scientists from academia, government, and nonprofit organizations, and with other individuals working across borders and disciplines.
Not a member yet?
Join AOS or renew your membership by logging into our Member Portal.
- If you have previously created an account, your Login ID is your email address. Entering your Login ID and password will take you directly to your personal profile page.
- If you have not previously created an account, click Create Account at the lower left to set up your profile and purchase a membership in the Society.
- Unlimited online access to The Auk: Ornithological Advances and The Condor: Ornithological Applications.
- No author page charges to publish in AOS journals as a corresponding author, plus a 25% discount on optional open access fees.
- Free access to Birds of North America, the most comprehensive and authoritative resource available on the biology of North American birds.
- 25% discount on Oxford University Press books.
- Eligibility for prestigious awards and research grants and access to a range of professional development opportunities.
- Discounted registration for our annual meeting.
Membership categories and rates
Please note that all prices listed are $USD.
|For individuals who do not choose or qualify for another membership category. A second regular membership from the same household, or family membership, is an additional $32 per year.|
|Available to individuals from any country who are currently enrolled (pre-college through postdoctoral fellow) or between degree-seeking programs with the intent to re-enter a degree program in the future. (If you have not previously been a member, you may also qualify for a student membership award!)|
|Early Professional |
|Available to individuals who have completed their terminal degree within the past five years.|
|Available to individuals who have been a member of AOS (including either the AOU or COS) for at least 40 years and who have retired from their professional position but remain active in ornithology.|
|Special Countries Membership |
|Available to individuals who are residents of countries other than the United States, Canada, Israel, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and the following Western European countries: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain, and Portugal.|
|Life Membership |
|Payment may be made in a one-time payment or in four installments of $720. Life memberships require no annual renewal, and the fee contributes directly to AOS’s Council-designated General Endowment Fund.|
|Contributing Membership |
|Contributing members are recognized annually on our website. The contribution value of the membership is tax deductible to the full extent of the law.|
|Gift Membership||Gift memberships can be purchased for one or more individuals. Standard rates per appropriate member category will apply. To purchase a gift membership, log into the Member Portal and select Online Store.|